Total Time: 22-30 Minutes
- 2 Vacuum sealed Beer infused cedar plank
- 1 1/2 lbs. 80/20 ground chuck
- Porcini mushroom seasoning ( see below)
- 4 Buns
- 1 Tomato, sliced
- 1 Red Onion, sliced
Porcini mushroom seasoning:
- 1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 2/3 cup kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Pulse the dried mushrooms in a clean spice grinder until they are finely ground. Transfer the mushroom powder to a bowl and add the salt, red pepper flakes, thyme and pepper. Mix thoroughly to incorporate.
You will have more then you need for this recipe, store the leftover powder in an airtight container. It will keep for several months, if it lasts that long.
- Preheat grill to 400º- 450º F.
- Combine ground beef and porcini seasoning. Divide the meat into 4 equal portions (about 6 ounces each). Form each portion loosely into a 3/4-inch-thick burger and make a deep depression in the center with your thumb.
- For first time use, season the planks by lightly toasting each side before cooking food. This imparts more intense flavor and helps prevent warping. Take plank out of vacuum sealed bag, place on grill, close the lid and heat for 1-2 minutes. Turn plank over, close lid and heat for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Put the burgers on the grill over direct heat and cook until nicely charred, about 1 minute. Flip and cook until the second side is charred, about 1 more minute.
- Once the planks begins to crackle place 2 burgers on each on the plank.
- Put the planks over indirect heat, sprinkle each burger with Porcini seasoning and re-close lid.
- Cook burgers for about 10 minutes, or until desired done-ness. If you would like to add some more smoke flavor, move the plank to direct heat for a few minutes and let it char. Remove the plank from the grill, dress your burgers up and enjoy.
NOTE: Plank cooking times will vary.
Caution: If grill becomes too hot, the plank may start to burn; use a spray bottle filled with water to extinguish any flames, adjust heat and continue cooking.